On the east bank of Rio Grande lies Canutillo, El Paso County. It was established in June 1833. In 1824, a small agriculture settlement was established but was taken by Apache raiders in 1833. In 1914 Canutillo was identified as a rural post office. The population of Canutillo was 6,321 in 2010. The median income in Canutillo is $34,377. Canutillo Independent School District was officially in operation in 1959. It was first named The Lone Star School. Canutillo began to improve economically in 1911. The flag station had been turned into Santa Fe Railroad station in that same year.