Karnes city is the county seat of Karnes County in Texas. The population of the city was 3,042 as of the 2010 census. The city was founded in 1890. The outcome of the by-election of the town was gained county seat rights from Helena in 1894. This town was named after Colonel Henry Wax Karnes, who was a leader of Texas Ranges, and a veteran of the Texas Revolution. As stated by the U.S Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.14 square miles with 0.03 being water. The city itself is provided by its own Independent School District consisting of 4 schools.