Cupcakes, why are they so popular and what makes them tick? Well, cupcakes are basically what their name implies, they are cakes that are the size of cups. One of the reasons why they are so popular is because of their size. People can’t finish a whole cake by themselves, but they can sure finish a cupcake. Not only that, but they can have different cupcakes in one sitting. Bottom line? It’s the accessibility of the cupcake which has led to their popularity. Another thing that has made cupcakes very popular is each person can have all the best parts of the cake equally, as each cupcake has all of the components to itself. And ingredient-wise? They the same. The same batter, same frosting, same everything.
- The first recorded mention of a cupcake was in 1796 and this was written by Amelia Simmons in “American Cookery” describing it as a light cake to bake in small cups.
- Cup cake and cupcake are two different things. Cup cake refers to cakes that have their ingredients measured via cups/volume, and cupcake is well, a small cake.
- Any recipe that can be used to bake a layer cake can be used to make a cupcake.
- Cupcakes, due to their size, bake much faster than a normal cake. So remember to adjust your timings if you decide to turn your cakes into cupcakes.
- Cupcakes only grew in popularity in the early 21st century when small shops that sold nothing but cupcakes started popping up.