Dating back from 1834, Cat Springs is one of the first German/American settlements in Texas. The city is located in western Austin County. Its founder was Leopold von Roeder. The community received its name when a son of the founder killed a puma at one of the springs of the San Bernard River. The remaining buildings include a German-constructed Austin County Dancehalls. It was frequently used for seasonal antique shows. The town was the location of Texas' first agricultural society- Cat Spring Agricultural Society. As of 2000, the population was 76 with a post office, one store and a tractor graveyard.