Pinehurst, a census-designated place, is situated at the intersection of Farm roads 149 and 1774 and State Highway 249, 4½ miles north of the Harris county line and seventeen miles southwest of Conroe in the southwestern corner of Montgomery County. It was formerly known as Prairie Home when a post office was opened in 1860, then changed to Hunter's Retreat in 1871. Then, in 1902, the International-Great Northern Railroad built through the town from Bryan to Spring. And, for the third time, the town was renamed to Pinehurst. With a total area of 9.0 square miles, a population of 4,624 was reached in 2010.