Located twelve miles southeast of Brady in southeastern McCulloch County, Voca was first established in the late 1850s and early 1860s. The name is an abbreviated of Avoca, Arkansas, named by John and W. C. Deans. Voca remained as the real Texas frontier for some time after most Indian hostility had ceased. By the mid-1880s Voca was served by a school, a Methodist church, a gristmill, a cotton gin, and two general stores. The post office was established in 1878. In 1910 a bridge was built across the San Saba River near Voca. The population was reported to be 56 in 1990 which remained the same until 2000.