Coolidge is a town in Limestone County, Texas that was established in 1903. For 27 years, the town was misspelled as Cooledge. Although President Calvin Coolidge was the president during these times, the town was not named after him, but it was named after a stockholder in the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railroad. The first building was a railroad passenger depot, followed by a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a chili joint. By 1914, the town had two banks, a weekly newspaper, and a variety of new businesses. While the town was born because of the railroad, it nearly died because of that. In 1942, the railroad has abandoned its track through the town. Despite this, the town managed to hang on tight. To date, Coolidge was the focus of a large independent school district that covered much of the northern Limestone County.