The US unincorporated community of Evadale is located in Jasper County in the state of Texas. It also serves as a census-designated place (CDP). Its population in 2010 was 1,483, according to the census carried out the same year. From the 1830s to the 1840s, the community was known as Richardson’s Bluff in honor of Benjamin Richardson, an early settler. Richardson ran a ferry on River Neches and served as the community’s postmaster in 1839. When Richardson died in 1849, the land was bought by Charles T. Ford, Philip U. Ford, and John A. Ford, leading to a change of name to Ford’s Bluff. Philip later died of yellow fever after a trip to New Orleans to purchase sawmill machinery. The town was later renamed Evadale after Eva Dale, a prominent teacher in the county.