Evant town is located partly in Hamilton County and partly in Coryell County, both of which are in central Texas. Evant first began as a settlement known as Langford Cove, named after Asa Langford, who had settled here with his family. Langford went on to build a general store, a sawmill, and a blacksmith shop near Evant’s current site. In the 1870s, Evant Brooks, an Alabama immigrant, purchased 160 acres of land from Langford. Brooks would later donate 60 acres for a town. By 1884, the community had been renamed Avant in his honor. In the 1890s, Avant had a hotel, a gristmill, three general stores, and a cotton gin. It had an estimated population of 10.