Orchard became the townsite of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in 1880. It was in 1890 that the community was promoted by S. K. Cross, who sold tracts from his ranch to German, Bohemian, and Polish settlers. The name also reflected Cross’ optimistic promotion, even though early attempts to raise fruit here had failed. In 1893, a post office was opened and 12 families from Akron, Ohio settled in 1894. The city of Orchard is located at the intersection of Farm Road 1489 and State Highway 36, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line thirteen miles west of Richmond in western Fort Bend County and the BNSF Railway between Rosenberg in Fort Bend County and Wallis in Austin County. With a total area of 0.39 square miles within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area, the city already reached a population of 398 in 2017. The White Wing Ranch Airport (TA97) with 2 Runways is also located in Orchard, Texas. Also, Orchard is served by the Brazos Independent School District and most students attend Brazos Elementary School (in the Orchard city limits), Brazos Middle School, and Brazos High School.