Pattison was the last city in Waller County to operate a cotton gin which was closed in 1976. The city was named for James Tarrant Pattison, who owned a large tract of William Heady's Mexican land grant in 1839. He also owned a plantation house on a hill and his plantation was also a stage stop at the intersection of the Atascosito Road and the San Felipe Trail. In 1877, the town was organized when three of Pattison's children allowed the Texas Western Narrow Gauge Railroad a right-of-way through their property and donated additional land for a turntable and townsite. It was incorporated on November 16, 1972. With a total area of 3.2 square miles, it is near the junction of Farm roads 1458 and 359, thirty miles west of Houston in southern Waller County. Pattison retained its post office, a justice of the peace, a state health clinic, a school, four churches, and two cemeteries in 1988. Airports located in Pattison include Dry Branch Ranch Airport (TS44) (Runways: 1) and Laas Farm Airport (1TS1) (Runways: 1). The population was 586 in 2017.