Pearland was named "Mark Belt" when a post office was established in 1893 but when it was platted on September 24, 1894, the plat of "Pear-Land" was filed with the Brazoria County courthouse by a Polish noble, Witold von Zychlinski. Also, at that time, pear trees are dominant in the community. It was a siding switch on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in 1882 and it is situated on State Highway 35 thirty-seven miles north of Angleton in northern Brazoria County with portions extending into Fort Bend and Harris counties. It is also within the Houston–The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan area. Pearland considered as the third-largest city in the Houston MSA has a total area of 47.5 square miles and reached a population of 119,940 in 2017. It has 8 Heliports and 3 Airports including Pearland Regional Airport (LVJ) (Runways: 1), Skyway Manor Airport (T79) (Runways: 1), and Houston Airpark Airport (21XS) (Runways: 1). Its sister cities include Markham in Ontario, Canada; Matamoros in Tamaulipas, Mexico; Lopez in Quezon, Philippines; and Palencia in Spain.