The Calliham unincorporated community was initially known as Guffeyola, after Hiram Harvey McGuffey who operated a store in this area. The community was founded in 1918 on the Calliham ranch due to an oil boom probability in the area at the time. However, in 1923, the community was renamed Calliham after the owner of the ranch and townsite, Joseph Thomas Calliham. In the same year, a post office established in this Calliham. In 1928, the community had a brick school. Later in the 1988s, Calliham was about three miles from the original site due to the overwhelming Choke Canyon Reservoir.