The area was settled around 1846 when a man named Ferdinand Carroll established a camp on the Jefferson Road. The community was renamed Carroll's Prairie in 1876 and in 1879 it changed to Carrollton. That name caused confusion so settlers from Como, Mississippi came up with the current name, Como. Como is an incorporated community on East Caney Creek in southeastern Hopkins County. The county is crossed from virtually all directions by state and federal highways. Coal was discovered in 1900 and became an important industry. In the early 1930s most of the local mines closed down.