The US city of Menard is located in Menard County in the state of Texas. The 2020 census reported its population as 1,471 in the same year. The city’s total area is estimated at 2.1 square meters, all of which is land. The first settlement at where Menard currently stands were Spanish missions established in 1757. When it began in 1958, the community was named Menardville. The nearby Fort McKavett would later, in 1859, be deactivated, exposing the settlers to frequent Indian attacks. The fort would later reopen after the end of the Civil War. By 1867, Menard had saloon, a blacksmith shop and a store.