Pflugerville was named for German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Sr. (1803–67) and he and his family were the first settlers in late 1849 into early 1850. Pfluger means "ploughman". A post office opened at the community in 1893 with Louis Bohls as postmaster. This city is situated on Farm Road 1825 fifteen miles north of Austin in northeastern Travis County. It is also 15 miles (24 km) northeast of the Colorado River. It also has a small portion in Williamson County. With a total area of 22.32 square miles, they reached a population of 63,359 in 2017. Pflugerville is also a suburb of Austin and part of the Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos Metropolitan Statistical Area. The city has one body of water, Lake Pflugerville, created in 2005 to serve as a water reservoir and recreation area, and two creeks, Gilleland Creek and Wilbarger Creek. Public education in Pflugerville is provided by the Pflugerville Independent School District (PfISD).