The U.S. city of Manor is located along the U.S. Highway 290 in Travis County. The first post office in Manor was founded in 1859 under the name Grassdale with James Manor as the postmaster. In 1860, the post office closed down. Later in 1871, another post office was opened. The post office, initially known as Gregg, changed its name to Manor in 1872 in honor of James Manor. In 1871, the Houston and Texas Central Railway was constructed through this city. Manor developed as a commercial center. By the mid-1880s, the area had established churches, general stores, and a district school.