Plum is the second oldest established community in Fayette County, having been settled as early land grants to Andrew Castleman in 1828 and John Cooke in 1831. It was formerly known as Plum Grove and its pioneer settlers were Tennesseans. This is an unincorporated community in Fayette County, Texas that also has a post office established in 1880 with the ZIP code of 78952. It is situated on State Highway 71 and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, eight miles west of La Grange in Fayette County. It is also home to the First Baptist Church in Texas west of the Colorado River, Plum Baptist Church. Oil was discovered in the Austin Chalk formation during the late 1970s and early 1980s which help in boosting Plum's local economy. The population of Plum was 95 in 2000.