Cleburne, Texas is the county seat of Johnson County. It was mainly a crossroad and transportation center. During the Civil War, the area was used as a bivouac for Johnson County units marching off to war. It was a temporary facility, known as Camp Henderson which became a permanent settlement on March 1867. The name was in honor of General Patrick R. Cleburne, under whom many fought during the Civil War. The town was incorporated in May 1871 with a mayor-council form of government. During the latter part of Word War II German prisoners were used as laborers on farms.