Joshua is a city situated in Johnson County in Texas. At the 2010 census, the population of the town was 5,910, and as of 2018, it is estimated to be just under eight thousand. W.W. Byers patented the land in 1867. John Powell bought the land in 1874. The first area of the community was Caddo Grove, 2 miles east of present Joshua. The city had its own post office and was on the rise. The town gained its name after the Hebrew Bible Book of Joshua. The education of Joshua is provided by its own Independent School District. This school district consists of eight campuses.