Situated in northwestern Duval County lies the second largest town in the county, Freer. It was named after Daniel John Freer, who purchased the townsite and developed it. The City of Freer was first incorporated in 1936 but due to expenses, an election was held on 1936 to discontinue the incorporation. In 1935, Freer became a wild and woolly young boom town with no paved streets, no paved roads in or out, no jail, and no firefighting equipment. In 1938 Freer was the second largest producing oil field in the United States. It was known as the ‘Buckle of the Oil Belt’.