Rockdale is a U.S city that sits at the intersection of Farm Roads 487 and 908 and the U.S Highway 79, Milam County, Texas. In 1874, the International-Great Northern Railroad was completed. The city was named by Mrs. B.F Ackerman after a nearby rock. In 1878, the city was incorporated and an aldermanic government was established. The city developed rapidly as a supply and shipping point for farmers. By 1884, the area had established churches, gristmills and schools. A number of coal mines that were founded in this area in the 1890s also led to the development of this area.