The US town of Buffalo Gap is located in Taylor County in the state of Texas. Its population at the 2010 census was estimated at 464. The town serves as Taylor County’s seat, having been preferred to the larger Abilene, despite the latter having won the referendum to be Taylor County’s seat. Buffalo Gap was chosen because it had a natural pass for bison herds to travel. Buffalo Gap was founded in 1857 and a post office opened in the area in 1878. Elm Creek was once a watering hole for buffalos. In 1874, Richard Hubbard, the then acting Texan secretary of state, approved Buffalo Gap as a temporary county seat for Taylor County.