Hardin, also known as Old Hardin, is a city in Liberty County. It is located at the intersection of FM 834 and SH 146, 48 miles west of Beaumont. It was first developed upon the construction of a railroad, when the heirs of the prominent Hardin family donated land for a townsite. Although the first post office was established in 1860, the plat of the townsite was filed in 1907. Thirteen years later, the post office was renamed from Walter to Hardin. The discovery of the Hardin oilfield, along with other deposits, flickered the town’s growth. In 1971, the city was incorporated and during the mid-1980s, Hardin had thirteen businesses. The number of residents didn’t grow as much though. As of 2018, its population was 913.