Raywood is an unincorporated community at the intersection of Farm Road 770 and U.S Highway 90 in Liberty County. The community had its first settlers by the 1830s. Later in the 1890s, rice culture was introduced to this place by Alexander Miller. The area was named after Raymond Hardwood, who owned a rice mill. The first post office in the area was established in 1894. The economy of this community was mainly dependent on agriculture. The discovery of oil in 1954 led to population growth. Besides, more businesses opened. In 1984, Raywood had large grain elevators that dominated this area.