The area was first settled as a farming community in 1882. The town was named that same year after a railroad official saw a large herd of cows outside the train’s window. Ganado means “herd” in Spanish. Some of the Scandinavian immigrants bought parts of the land and started farming in 1891. Ganado is located in Jackson County in Texas. At the 2010 census, the town’s population was 2,003. The city gained its incorporation in 1909. The total area of the town is 1.2 square miles, all of it is land. Ganado Independent School District distributes the public education system of the town.